Wednesday 7 August 2013

2 down!!!!!

Two workshops successfully completed on Saturday and very interesting they were. The first, project design, sounded a bit staid, but afterwards, I was just itching to get on all the websites that Paul introduced us to. He explained what it involved very well, using the BAIT project design as an example. The task he set us at the end of the session was really useful as each group had to take an element of project design and brainstorm what it might mean. Our group had health and safety and it was great to see everyone involved and contributing.

The afternoon session was all about desk-based assessment. After the project design, it's the next thing which evolves in an archaeological project. A large part of DBA is looking at aerial photographs, documents and maps and it is the latter which excited us the most I think. I just love maps, especially old ones and Ian Soden pulled out a bucket load of different maps to show us, including trench maps from the 1st World War. My favourites, however, are those done in the late 1700's by Matthias Baker and the Board of Health maps, commissioned in the 1850's.


He finished the afternoon off by splitting us into groups and tasking us with creating our own maps, using the Green at Broadwell. Half the groups had to produce really useful maps, and the other half, really un-helpful maps. It was a beautiful afternoon and a really excellent way to end off the afternoon.



I have to admit that I spent the next 3 days on an archaeological spree. How lucky was I!!!

Sunday saw me join the metal detectorists in the morning. I paired up with my friend who has all the equipment and spent a happy 3 hours being shown the ropes. It's something I've always wanted to have a go at and now I have...and I think I have the bug!!!! Unfortunately I was only wearing shorts and t-shirt, and by the time we got back to the car after the rain had started, I was absolutely soaking!! Serves me right. For all those who join us on the fields for a bit of metal detecting with the experts (when the crops are off), you are in for a treat.

Monday, I was back volunteering at New Place, Stratford-upon-Avon. I have been involved in the Dig for Shakespeare for 3 years and was sad to see the end of the project last year. But, I was lucky enough to get a spot on the 2 week dig they have on at the moment, where 3 professionals (Will, Liz and Eilidh) are digging 3 trenched to try and join the dots of previous archaeology. Us volunteers are mere sievers and finds washers, but it was great to be back.
                                      The stunning knot-garden at New Place.

And finally, Tuesday saw me at the Lunt Roman Fort, where they had called for volunteers to help paint the Gyrus with wood preserve. What a thoroughly messy but fulfilling job that was. It looked fantastic when we'd finished.  

No comments:

Post a Comment